Establishing Family Values & Family Rules
Coming up with Family Values and Family Rules are incredibly important to the health of each family. Clear rules and expectations allow children to know what is expected of them. Try coming up with Family Values that work for your family, make it a group ordeal so everyone has their say and feels like their opinion matters.
Take a look at some examples of what some Family Values and Family Rules are.
DEVELOPING FAMILY RULES
Family Rules are a set of Do’s and Don’ts that serve as guidelines for carrying out family morals and family values and hence, creating the basis for discipline.
Family rules are developed by all family members, apply to all family members, and are reviewed on a regular basis to determine how well the family is doing in following the rules.
How to Establish Family Rules
- Get everyone to participate.
- Share problem behaviors. (Avoid blaming)
- Have a large sheet of paper (poster board) and marker.
- Brainstorm a list of rules.
- Keep rules simple and specific.
- Limit family rules to a maximum of 5 to 7.
- Identify a consequence and a reward for each rule.
- Hold regular family meeting to review the rules.
Examples Family Values/Family Rules
- As a family we tell the truth. (can’t use joking)
- As a family we follow instructions.
- As a family we praise/appreciate each other.
- As a family we treat each other with respect. (no yelling, arguing, using disrespectful tone of voice)
- As a family we respect the need for privacy.
- As a family we practice using a calm, even tone of voice.
What other values you can add as a family?